Property Maintenance

The Property Maintenance Department is charged with the task of protecting the public health, safety and welfare in both existing residential and non residential structures on all existing premises. We are responsible for investigating possible violations to include, but not limited to, open storage, unlicensed or inoperable vehicles, junkyards, tall weeds and grass complaints, prohibited sign violations, unsafe structures and sub-standard housing.

Open Storage

Open storage is defined as items such as household items, garbage, furniture, car parts, and various debris that are stored outside of an accessory structure and not contained within four walls and visible from the street or other properties.

Unlicensed or Inoperable Vehicles

Rutherford County Board of Commissioners Tall Weeds and Grass Ordinance dated 11/13/2008 section 1.4e states "It shall be unlawful to maintain more than one unlicensed or inoperable vehicle on any parcel of land or lot in a major subdivision as defined in the Rutherford County Subdivisions Regulations."


Any land or structure used for the storage and/or sale of waste paper, rags, scrap metal, and discarded materials and the collection, dismantlement, storage, and/or salvage of four or more unlicensed, inoperative vehicles

Tall Weeds and Grass

Rutherford County Board of Commissioners Tall Weeds and Grass Ordinance dated 11/13/2008 section 1.4a-d and 1.4f states "a. For the purpose of this resolution weeds and other similar regulated vegetation shall be kept cut, clipped or controlled through chemical means as frequently as necessary to ensure that weeds, rank grass, and noxious growths do not exceed a height of fifteen (15) inches. Such vegetation shall be maintained on property as set forth below:

    1.The entire area of any lot, parcel, or tract containing two (2) acres or less.

    2.Within twenty-five (25) feet of any street right of way.

b. Nothing herein shall preclude the use of a parcel as a natural wooded area or the maintenance of natural screening provided that the public health, safety, and welfare not be impaired.

c. It shall be unlawful for any person to rake, cut or pile weeds, grass, brush, vegetation, dead or broken tree limbs, dead trees, or rubbish into any ditch or natural drain or at any place on the property that might obstruct the vision of the operators of vehicles or pedestrians of or obstruct the flow of water or drainage.

d. All enforcement actions with respect to Section 1 of this resolution shall commence upon confirmation of complaint.  All complaints should be appropriately documented and reflect the specific nature and location of the complaint.

e. see above, Unlicensed or Inoperable Vehicles 

f. These provisions do not apply to any lot which includes an owner-occupied residence, pursuant to Tennessee Code Annotate 5-1-115 subsection." 

Unsafe Structure

The 2012 International Property Maintenance Code Section 108.1.1 says " An unsafe structure is one that is found to be dangerous to the life, health, property or safety of the public or the occupants of the structure by not providing minimum safeguards to protect or warn occupants in the event of fire, or because such structure contains unsafe equipment or is so damaged, decayed, dilapidated, structurally unsafe or of such faulty construction or unstable foundation, that partial or complete collapse is possible."

Sub-Standard Housing

The 2012 International Property Maintenance Code Section 101 states "Establishing minimum maintenance standards for such elements as basic equipment, light, ventilation, heating, sanitation and fire safety."  

Prohibited Sign Violations

Rutherford County Zoning Ordinance section 1204 states "The following signs shall be prohibited and may neither be erected nor maintained:

Any sign for which a permit is required and has not been issues, excluding any existing legal nonconforming sign;

Flashing or otherwise moving signs;

Any sign that obstructs a clear view to and from traffic along any street right-of-way, entrance or exit;

Signs or sign structures located in the right-of-way, except as required by appropriate federal, state, city, or county governmental authorities;

Signs which make use of words such as "stop", "look", "danger" or any other words, phrases, symbols or character in such a manner as to resemble standard traffic control signs and interfere with, mislead or confuse drivers of vehicles traveling upon any highway, driveway or parking area;

Portable signs;

Sign display areas with varying light illumination and/or intensity, blinking, simulated movement or convey the illusion of movement

Signs that are of such intensity or brilliance as to cause glare or impair the vision of any motorist, cyclist or pedestrian using or entering a public way;

Any other sign which is not expressly allowed is prohibited;"


If you have a complaint that meets any of the above criteria and would like to submit a formal complaint you may do so here:

Zoning Appeals Application