Current Adoptions, News, & Updates
Residential Swimming Pools
Report a Property Violation
Request a Building Inspection
Request an Electrical Inspection
Room 101, 1 S Public Square
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
8:00AM - 4:30PM
When do I need a Building Permit?
If you have any questions as to whether the project your are considering requires a building permit, please contact our office at 615-898-7734 for verification prior to commencing. Failure to obtain approval and a building permit will result in a Double Permit Fee being assessed as adopted by the Rutherford County Board of Commissioners.
Do I need a building permit for a mobile home, manufactured home or modular home?
Why do I need a building permit?
Where do I apply for a building permit?
What is the penalty for failing to obtain the proper permit?
How long is a building permit valid?
Am I required to obtain a permit to re-roof my house?
How many layers of asphalt shingle roofing can I install, before I have to tear off the old roofs in order to recover my roof?
Two. When it becomes necessary to replace the second layer of asphalt shingle roofing, both layers of old roofing should be removed prior to installing new roofing.
Am I required to obtain a permit to build a concrete or asphalt driveway?
Am I required to obtain a permit to build a fence?
Am I required to obtain a permit for a swimming pool?
Do I have to have a fence around my pool?
Do I need a permit for a storage building?
When can I move in my house after it is finished?
How do I know if I’m dealing with a reputable contractor?
• Are they licensed? Tennessee law requires that a general contractor or home improvement contractor be licensed. Ask to see a copy of their license and also followup to verify that it is still current at the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance at https://verify.tn.gov/
• Do they have insurance? In most cases, State law requires that they carry workers compensation insurance. Ask to see a Certificate of Insurance.
• Ask to see some identification. Be sure you know the correct name of the individual you are dealing with, his/her address, and telephone number(s).
• Ask for at least two references – and check them out!
• Make sure all agreements are in writing! Be sure to reduce all verbal change orders or contract amendments, to writing - no exceptions!
• Do not pay a front-end deposit of more than one third (1/3) of the contract amount.
Where can I buy a code book?
Building codes is currently operating under ICC 2018 Building Code and Residential Code.
Copies of the currently adopted codes can be viewed (free of charge) at the Rutherford County Clerks Office or at the Building Codes Department during normal business hours.
Where do I get an electrical permit?
State of Tennessee Electrical permits for Rutherford County, Eagleville and LaVergne may be obtained at the Rutherford County Buidlign Codes Department at One Public Square, Room 101, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. We are strictly an issue agent for the State of Tennessee. We issue the permit and accept inspection requests which are passed on to a State contracted Electrical Inspector. All permits and inspections are regulated by the State of Tennessee Electrical Division at 615-741-7170.
Who can obtain an electrical permit?