Issuance of Electrical Permits
As of December 3rd 2018, all electrical permits for Rutherford and Cannon Counties will be issued by the Rutherford County Building Codes Department at #1 S. Public Square in Room 101. The back entrance will be locked and will no longer be accessible to the public, so entry by the front door will be required.
We are making every effort to make this transition as seamless as possible, but inevitably there will be some minor changes to the permit issuance and inspection request processes. We apologize in advance if this causes any inconvenience, but we hope that ultimately, the modifications we make will be positive changes. Our goal is to make both the issuance and inspection processes as easy as possible for you, the contractor and/or homeowner.
Some of the changes that will be effective immediately are as follows:
- With the exception of major holidays, our office will be open Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 4:15pm.
- On your first visit with us, please be prepared to produce the required licensure with which to obtain an electrical permit, and if applicable, a list of authorized employees who have your permission to obtain a permit on your behalf. Please put this list on your company letterhead or printed on paper with a copy of your business card attached.
- We can accept check, cash and credit card for payment of the permit (please note: a fee applies when a credit card is used).
- For ease in issuing permits and tracking inspections, all inspections will be issued on a separate permit, e.g. rough-in, final and service releases will now be issued as three separate permits- there will be no exceptions to this policy. Contractor may still obtain all permits for the same project at the same time, but they will be issued on separate permits.
- To obtain an electrical permit you must provide the complete street address of the property upon which the permit will be issued. Please be warned that permits will not be issued without it and a second trip to obtain the permit may be required, so please have this ready when you come to the office to obtain your permit.
- Inspections will be requested through the Building Codes Department instead of directly with the inspector. You can request an inspection by calling our office at 615-898-7734, emailing us at [email protected], or on this website under the Electrical tab. For both scenarios, you will be required to provide the permit number and the complete street address of the property.
- Please note that the Building Codes staff will only be responsible for issuing permits and scheduling inspections, our staff cannot answer any technical questions regarding your inspections. The assigned inspectors contact information, i.e. telephone and email, will be made available at the time of permit issuance and contractors are encouraged to call that inspector with any questions regarding their inspections.
We thank you in advance for your patience with us during this transition and if you have any questions or concerns regarding this memo please do not hesitate to call our office and we ill be happy to discuss.
Application for Electrical Permit
for the State of TN Electrical Permit Application.
Request an Electrical Inspection